Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, which means many sweethearts will soon scope out candy treats to gift their loved ones on the special day.
According to CandyStore.com, consumers are expected to spend more than $2.4 billion this year for the holiday, known for indulgent gifts. The website says it complied sales data from the past 12 years from their online bulk candy store and industry partners to determine the most popular Valentine’s Day candy in each state.
Mississippians are pretty conventional when it comes to candy around the lovey-dovey holiday. Heart-shaped boxes of chocolate come in at the state’s top V-Day candy, while conversation hearts come in second and chocolate roses bloom up in third!
Check out these fun and sweet facts from CandyStore.com :
- 43% of people said they will buy themselves a box of chocolates this year.
- 58 million pounds of chocolate are bought during Valentine’s Day week.
- The peak selling period for conversation hearts is only 6 weeks long.
- It takes manufacturers 11 months to produce enough for those 6 weeks.
- Vodka infused with candy remained popular with conversation hearts last year.
- Children receive 39 percent of all Valentine’s Day candy and gifts.
Texas seems to favor Hershey Kisses above other candies for the holiday, while in “Sweet Home Alabama” candy necklaces are the sweet treat of choice.
The map below illustrates the favorite Valentine’s Day candy in each state.
Hover over the interactive map to see the popular candy in other states: