It's a staple of many morning routines.
Some call it nectar of the gods. Many can’t start their day without it. Many have more than one cup. Here’s a list of 10 ten interesting facts about coffee. Since 2005, the U.S. and Canada celebrate National Coffee Day on September 29 and International Coffee Day occurs on October 1.
Enjoy your National Coffee Day with this list of facts!
1. Did you know Hawaii is the only state in America that grows coffee.
2. Coffee is a major money maker, it brings in more than $100 billion worldwide.
3. Did you know, according to legend, a goat herder discovered coffee in the 1500s in Ethiopia.
4. Coffee was even banned by some places and countries. Mecca banned coffee in the 1500s because it believed coffee stimulated thinking, while also causing inactivity and idleness. Don’t worry, they eventually overturned all of the bans.
5. Did you know 65% of coffee consumption happens in the morning time.
6. Did you know coffeehouses in Constantinople are known as houses of wisdom, because men would gather there to talk literature and the arts.
7. Europe’s first coffeehouse opened in Venice, Italy in 1645.
8. Coffee was the number one drink in the United States in 2016 with over 88.8 gallons per capital in a year according to Marketwatch.
9. In 2015, The coffeemaker was a top 10 purchased product from January 1st through September 29th.
10. The average American drinks 3.1 cups of coffee every day.
11. Local coffee houses and coffee roasters are a great place to learn more and find unique and super fresh brews.
If you want to more facts about National Coffee Day, click here.
National Coffee Day Deals!
- Dunkin’ – Free medium hot or iced coffee with any purchase.
- Starbucks – Hosting Star Days with a weeks worth of deals and games through their app.
- Love’s Travel Stops – Any size coffee or hot beverage will be $1 through the Love’s Connect app. Proceeds benefit Children’s Miracle Network.
- Barnes & Noble – Get a free hot or iced tall coffee when you buy a bakery case item.
- Krispy Kreme – Free coffee and original glazed doughnut. No purchase necessary for their rewards program members.
Related Topic: How you brew a cup of joe is just as important as the bean you brew. See the difference here.
Copyright 2020 GRAY MEDIA GROUP, INC.